Saturday, December 15, 2007

12/15/07 There's No Place Like Home!

December was a month full of expectations for the Malkoff family – each one of us had different plans and desires. Mel anticipated that the boat would be finished and that he’d be making his new on-the-water home in Long Beach. Sarah planned to help Mel outfit the boat, decorate her cabin, catch up on her school work and visit friends in Orange County. Mary Ann had a weekend full of Bar Mitzvah festivities for her friend Demi's son and scheduled visits with friends and family around her photo and memorabilia organization project. Dave intended to eat at his favorite sushi restaurant, visit with his grandfather and go for long walks.

Sarah and Mel were already in Orange County, since they had left Thanksgiving Weekend before Dave and I went to the Grand Canyon. They were seriously disappointed – new problems with the boat engine and an awol electrician meant that there was little hope of Sarah getting to help Mel move on the boat. Fortunately, Sarah got to spend weekends with Audrey – which thrilled both of them.

Dave, Mayim and I managed the 8 hour drive without mishap and were thrilled to meet the entire family at the Lazy Dog in Huntington Beach. Sarah, Dave and I went off to sleep at the parent’s in Huntington Beach and Mayim went back to Al’s with Mel.

Besides staying with Audrey and hanging out at Mel’s office, Sarah visited friends, went to Knott’s Berry Farm, Disneyland and Rainbow Kids homeschool group outings, and shopped with Amber.

Dave visited Logan, his beloved teacher Dr. Harder, hung out with his grandfather who took him to his favorite sushi restaurant and to see Coach Rick at the Baseball Academy, and hosted Logan in Huntington Beach several days for long walks and Magic tournaments.

Mayim luxuriated with her doggie friend Mandy in Al’s Villa Park back yard and gave us quite the scare when we thought she had left the yard one evening (she was snozing and didn't hear us call) and another morning when she was so lethargic she couldn’t manage to eat her breakfast (was downright perky at the vets and got a clean bill of health).

Oddly enough I had never stayed the night at my parent’s house. Don and Karen married the year before Mel and I and since I’ve always had a home nearby, I’ve never needed to be an overnight guest. Of course, Dave and Sarah have stayed over a zillion times, but it was my first time in the lovely bed and breakfast-style guest room known as “The Cave.” Karen and I enjoyed girl-time together – we went for massages and pedicures. It was unique and special to have time to hang out with my parents enjoying coffee in the morning and reviewing the day’s events in the evening.

Holiday Slide Show with Family


I made special time to meet up with Jerry, Nancy, Demi, Catherine and Susan, who had done so much to help me close down the house when I was still so weak from the emergency gall bladder surgery. Mel’s sister Susan made a special trip up from Ventura to spend the day. Seeing friends in this relaxed mode was a treat; my last two months in the OC were frantic and not the best way for me to say thank you for people who mean so much to me.

No comments: